Volunteer as a Doula
The role of the Birth for HumanKIND doula
Birth for HumanKIND receive referrals from agencies and in some cases directly from clients. Once a referral is received and assessed for suitability, an initial meeting is arranged with the Doula Coordinator and Supervisor. Next we match the client with a primary and secondary (backup) doula. The role of the primary doula is to provide support before, during and after the birth. Ideally, we aim to provide:
- Three visits before the birth (including one appointment with the midwife/doctor)
- Two visits after the birth
- 24/7 on-call availability two weeks before and two weeks after your estimated due date.
Ongoing support, mentoring and debriefing is also provided by the Doula Coordinator and Supervisor. We also host monthly Birth Support Circle for our volunteers to come together and share thoughts and wisdom.
To be eligible to apply as a volunteer, doulas are required to:
- Live in Melbourne
- Have completed a comprehensive doula training program, be a midwife or student midwife
- Have attended a minimum of three births
- Have a current Police Check and Working with Children Check
- Agree to abide by our policies and Code of Practice
- Have the right attitude to provide quality, impartial support to women from different cultural and socio-economic backgrounds
- Be committed to supporting a minimum of three births with Birth for HumanKIND
The application process
Relevant information about becoming a volunteer is available for you to download:
If this sounds right for you and you are ready to apply, please complete the application form and forward it to us along with your current CV
Once we review your application, you will be contacted to arrange a face to face interview with our Doula Coordinator and Supervisor. If your application is successful, you will be invited to attend the Birth for HumanKIND doula induction training where you will learn about your role, our processes and how to work with women in vulnerable and at-risk circumstances.
Volunteer doula induction training
Our next Doula Training will be held on 17 and 24 June 2017. We are currently recruiting 10 new volunteers to join our team.
Applications close on April 28th, 2017.
“It is a real privilege to work with birthing women and support their transition to strong and empowered mothers. Volunteering with Birth for HumanKIND allows me to achieve this by connecting me with the women and families who truly benefit the most from my doula services. Thanks to the unwavering support, encouragement and ongoing, relevant training from Birth for HumanKIND, I now feel more confident in my role as a doula and have great pride in the contribution I am making to my community.“
Liz Varney, Birth for HumanKIND Volunteer Doula