Free Doula Support
The only program of its kind in Victoria – we give women experiencing financial hardship and social disadvantage access to free pregnancy, birth and early parenting support through our doula support program.
Since 2014, we have supported more than 120 women through this program and we have seen very positive outcomes in birth, health and wellbeing for our clients and their families.
Though each of our doulas offers her unique experience and support style, we offer:
- 1 referral interview and doula matching
- Initial doula-client meeting
- 2-3 prenatal visits
- On-call 24/7 support beginning 2 weeks before the estimated due date, and extending to 2 weeks after
- Continuous support during labour and birth
- 2 visits after the baby is born
During this time our doula will:
- Support women and their partners or loved ones to prepare for the birth
- Provide continuity of care, emotional support, physical comfort measures and non-biased information
- Reassure and support parents to feel comfortable and confident in understanding the Australian maternal health care system
- Enhance communication between a labouring woman and medical staff, if needed
- Offer suggestions on pain relief techniques, such as breathing, positioning and massage
- Foster a relaxed postpartum environment, to enhance mother-infant bonding, breastfeeding and family adjustments
Birth For HumanKIND doulas and staff also liaise and communicate with your health professionals, and are able to provide advice on and make referrals for other support services if needed.